About the event
The WCRP Academy is the research training advisory and coordination arm of the WCRP. It is the flagship activity for WCRP´s mission: “to develop, share, and apply climate knowledge that contributes to science, policy and practice” and works to equip current and future climate scientists and practitioners with the knowledge, skills and attributes required to tackle the world’s most pressing and challenging climate research questions.
The Academy does this through assessing requirements for climate research training in various contexts and building enabling mechanisms to facilitate this. It is a hub for climate science training opportunities, a marketplace that connects training providers with scientists and practitioners who are seeking training.
In this side event, the Academy’s catalogue of climate science training was launched, which collates in-house WCRP training activities and educational materials to the global science community, and seeks to connect external training providers and users of training.
- Session description: Introducing the WCRP Academy
- Website: https://wcrp-academy.org/
- Catalogue: https://wcrp-academy.org/catalog
- Stocktake survey results
Recommendations for interactions between CMIP and the Academy
- CMIP could supply trainers to the academy.
- CMIP could create training content (tools, courses, data…)
- Training courses organized by CMIP could be integrated into the academy’s catalog.
- CMIP could use the academy’s stocktake surveys to better identify climate modeling needs, particularly with the Global South.
Key discussion points
- Facilitate the coordination between climate experts
- Reduce the accessibility gap on training for the climate experts of the Global South
- Connecting providers and consumers of training: Provision of climate science training could be made more efficient and sustainable by better.
- Provides a marketplace for climate training: matching training providers with trainings recipients.
- Identify gaps in climate training by conducting regular stocktake survey.
- Draw expertise from Academy’s sponsors (WMO UNESCO and ISC) and partner with other organisations globally to promote and coordinate training opportunities.
- Create opportunities for training providers from the Global South to partner with the academy to promote their activities and in language other than English.